Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Introductions

I started this blog to co-exist with my Facebook page, Chickens Out Yonder. For those that do not follow my page, I think some introductions are in order. Chickens Out Yonder is exactly what you'd think. Chickens! Out Yonder! In the backyard. There are 2 pens. One for the large fowl and another for the Bantams. I attempted integrating Chatty with the Big girls. How'd that work out? Not too good.

Starting from the top...

LARGE FOWL

Esther the Easter egger. She lays a large light green egg and is the top chicken but, rules calmly - only inflicting pecks as required. 

Alice-ca-traz. A rock/white cross, lays a large brown egg. Second in command and a huge bully to Goose. She's mellowed over time and is less bothersome. Learning to be loud from Goose.

Officially, Eclaire the cream buff. Buff-laced Poland. Lays a medium-large white egg. This bird is so LOUD. How LOUD is she? I get calls from surrounding States about her. (Ha) She honks, sounding more like a Goose than a chicken SO, she is nicknamed the Goose. Pretty much the star of the show Out Yonder. Even though she ranks dead last in the pecking order.
 BANTAMS

I had a hankerin' for some banties and picked up 2 a couple weeks ago.

Best we can figure, this girl is a Bantam Japanese Black-tail. She talked a bit when first arriving and I named her Chit Chat (Chatty) Lays a small off white egg. I tried introducing her to the big girls, I thought they'd kill her. Brutal! 
Chatty had a friend that didn't make it. A coon took her home for dinner one night. I have since secured the break in and reinforced the coop.

Fancy la Feete. A Belgium D'uccles. Too young to lay. Taken by a coon - 
Chatty was alone once Fancy was gone and chickens being social, needed a friend, or two.

Picked up yesterday. Blue Bantam Cochin. 5 mos old. Name before the Committee.

Came with the blue. (above) Black Bantam Cochin. Also 5 mos old. The Committee has agreed on, Black Magic (Maggie) for this little one. Perhaps, when everyone gets acclimated, I'll throw a basketball to her and see what she's got.
And, there you have the main characters Out Yonder. Stay tuned. More stories about what's happening Out Yonder to follow.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite hen was Fancy. She died a horrible death right in front of me. I like your hens' name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few upset me. Through my own stupidity or laziness. I reckon that's what makes it so bad.

      Delete