Sunday, July 27, 2014

Refreshing the Coop

Mother Nature takes a toll on everything and this old coop has seen better days. It was time for a touch up. Free range days are over (lesson learned) and this 'make-shift' enclosure I installed for the Goose's safety, has got to go.



What an eye sore! 
Fresh paint and a new enclosed run. It's the same design I have used in the past. I moved the door to the end, instead of by the coop to keep nosy chickens back. It didn't work. However, it is closer to Gordon (the feed storage locker)
The whoa-man finishing up the trim. Goose checking the foundation. She is not happy being penned again but, there are just too many predator threats.
Goose approved. 


4 comments:

  1. Nice! Since Thelma and now the others have always been free-range chickens, they would get depressed in a run. I have seen them get depressed, and it's really sad. As for predators, it's a good things shooting is not allowed in the city, I don't have a gun, and probably would not hit the predator. Goose is a proud looking hen. I suppose it is the headwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own a pellet gun and give the squirrels hell but, as far as shooting a real gun around here, the houses are just too, too close. I'm a fair shot but, couldn't and wouldn't take a chance.

      Delete
  2. Goose cracks me up....and that is one awesome new pen. You used a different wire this time right so that rascally raccoon can't get in. We've yet to make a coop or real enclosure for ours. Thankfully there all still alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same wire. The raccoon only got in due to my negligence. At this time, he has left the area. I sprayed some fox urine around and into the neighbors' shed (coon's house). Haven't seen him in awhile. :::fingers crossed:::

      Delete