Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Flashback

Sitting here during the frozen temps of winter, I often long for those warm summer days of my youth.

Although, I don't feel extremely old, I did grow up a long time ago. My youthful memories are filled with outdoor play in the heat of the Deep South summers. Funny, I can't recall any cold, winter days. Except, the time, we moved to Washington for a couple years, I walked a couple miles to a good sized hill for some snowy, sliding fun. Fun, until I was hurting from the exposure and still had to walk back home. My hands, fingers and toes were so cold, I remember crying, while trying to warm them in front of the oven.

Ya see, we didn't have those electronic games. We had light sockets and frogs, electrical outlets and a nail. A bicycle with cards in the spokes and bare feet on the blistering neighborhood sidewalks. G.I. Joe and all his equipment. The original, not the 'real hair guy or kung fu grip wimp'.

Okay, we did have the electrical trains. But, after a couple trips around and round, they were about as boring as a Nascar race. We were forced to watch The Lawrence Welk show, learn to square dance and not to fart or cuss around the girls.

We also had a dog and horse (or two or three)  Rodeos, cattle and rattlesnake round-ups and chewing Red Man tobacco, during our years in Texas. And, my favorite times were sitting around the wood burning stove in the old country store - listening to the old-timers tales of the past.


Spending time outside, making homemade ice cream with Dad. Wiping the sweet juice of a perfectly ripened watermelon from your chin. And, who can forget the bloody, stubbed toe on those dreaded tar strips separating the concrete squares of the sidewalks?

That's my flashback. Do you have any?


4 comments:

  1. If we could not figure out what to do outdoors in the summer, we could sit down in the dirt or on the porch the chickens pooped on and work on our soles. Our soles of our bare feet usually had chunks of tar stuck to them from the roads that melted in the heat of the Jackson, MS, road in front of our house. That was one hot blacktop road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I meant to say I loved the pictures. What Southern state did you live in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until 13, we were back and forth from Montgomery, Al and San Antonio. (Dad was Air Force). Spent 3 years in Tacoma, Wa. Then, moved back to the homeland of TN.

      Delete